13.9.11

Love your enemies. Forgive your brother.

If i speak in the tongues of men and of angels but have not love, i am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

And if i have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if i have all faith, so as to move mountains,

but have not love, i am nothing.

If i give away all i have and if i deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, i gain nothing.


 

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude.

It does not insist on its own way, it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends.


 

I've been thinking about the choice i have.

Choosing to be angry, or choosing to forgive.

Choosing to relish in the satisfaction and validation that comes from holding grudges,

from pointing out others' faults, and how i've been wronged.

Refusing to let go of the past, let go of the hurt.

Becoming proud, indignant, self-righteous.

Or instead of taking satisfaction in the criticism of others' shortcomings, choosing to love.


 

God says forgive seventy x seven times

God says love your enemies

I say, What are you, crazy?!!


 

I've never had enemies.

But sometimes, in this evil world, families are pitted against each other.

Your parents, your sibling, your spouse becomes your enemy.

They are the most difficult to love.

They are the most trying on your patience.

The most threatening to your pride.

The hardest to give grace.

The hardest to have hope for.

The hardest to bear and endure.

The hardest to forgive.


 

Lord,

In my own self-indignant way

I want those whom have hurt me to pay

To be punished

I want to retaliate

I take joy in pointing out their flaws

I think i am any better.

I have not love in me.

Not enough love.

Help me to have the heart and strength and courage to love with compassion and grace

To love when they do not show me love

When they cannot love me the way i need and want

When i feel used and neglected and unseen

Fill me with Your love for them


 

Choosing to be angry and retract my love does no good

Help me to find healing and freedom in forgiveness.

Help me to love freely, without demand or expectation in return,

Without protecting myself,

Without judgment,

Without condition.


 

Teach me how to reconcile.

Teach me how to love my enemies, forgive my brother.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment